"I think everything counts a little more than we think."

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gun (Rough Draft)

   I can look down the barrel of my gun into his bright, unblinking eyes. I've got the barrel pressed against his cheek and he doesn't blink. He should be begging for his life. He should be wailing and groping like the swarming mass of sick people pressed against the bars of the cell. He should be afraid.
   I demand, "Where is the antidote?"
...
   Rewind the tape twelve years. America was imploding by the minute. The news claimed thousands were dying each day due to all sorts of things. You wouldn't think there could be that many people in America. You didn't know anyone who did die, but you knew people were dying, so you were afraid.
...
   I ask again, "Where is the antidote?" The infected still swarmed outside the prison cell. I pushed him closer to the center of the cell, away from the groping hands. I was nervous. "Where the Hell is the antidote?! Tell me or I'll blow you halfway to Hell and feed you to them!"
   He smiled, gun still at his tongue, "Feed me to them? What antidote?"
...
   Flashback five years. That's when the zombies started appearing. A politician, who I would later trap and kill in a prison cell, claimed to have created a virus turning humans into zombies. He also claimed to have an antidote. Everyone went crazy. The zombies spread like wildfire, beginning in the middle class before claiming the poor and the homeless. The rich claimed they had access to the antidote. They always smiled a knowing smile when they said this. Assholes.
...
   I scream, "The antidote to the virus! The cure you crazy piece of shit! How do I stop the virus?" I'm scared witless now. I cock the gun.
   He smiles again. "You don't understand, do you? This is a perfect chemical weapon. Primal, natural, unstoppable."
   "Shut up," I say, "and give me the antidote."
   The zombies outside the bars are screaming and wailing.
   He cocks his head in sync with the gun. "Do you know the difference between freedom and slavery? Free men make choices. Slaves obey."
   I am on my knees now, begging, "Give me the antidote, or I will kill you."
   "There is no antidote, there is no virus."
   "What?"
   "Fear, my good sir. I am the slave driver and fear is my whip. Frighten the masses, scare the shit out of them, push them to the brink, and they will flock like lemmings to a cliff. Humanity has the capacity to tear itself apart over nothing but irrational fear, and those who see the fear for what it really is, and manipulate it, can reap the rewards."
   "You're crazy."
   "There's a fine line ..."
   "No, shut up!" I scream, "You're no genius! You're a commercial! People like you come in thirty second clips on the television!"
   A pause. "Are you afraid of me?"
   "I'm going to kill you." I'm breathing hard. I put the gun to his forehead.
   Another pause. He points to the zombies. "Congratulations," he says, "you've become just another one of them." He spits the last word.
   I am the villain and fear is my shield.
   I shoot. His brain flies everywhere, and the people outside fight over it. I'm nervous, so I shoot him again, and then I stoop down to grab his head like some kind of sick apple, a stupid, primal fear and hunger in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment